September 27, 2007

Physicists are bastards

I know several physics majors. They all have eyes and (mostly) functioning brains. Apparently, this makes them think it’s ok to ruin every action movie I ever watch in their presence. Here’s a typical exchange:

[Main character/hero does something badass, I laugh maniacally with approval]

Physics major: I’m sure he could really rappel 30 stories down an exploding skyscraper while having a threesome with that supermodel and the President’s daughter.

Me: Sorry for trying to enjoy myself. [puts dick back in pants]

Here’s the response I’ve been dying to give them: you’re so clever. You might actually be the first person to realize that Die Hard is unrealistic. And thank you so much for sharing this earth shattering revelation with me in the middle of the most important scenes. For the love of god, movies are considered escapism for a reason. You know what so-called ‘realistic movies’ are? Fucking boring. If I wanted realism, I’d follow some random stranger around all day. (I can tell you from experience, this sucks. At first, you’re watching them do nothing special, but then they see you and call the cops or start running or whatever. And I’m just not in good enough shape to fully experience this realism, to be honest with you.)

So anyway, physicis majors, I’m sorry I’m not trying to lead a joyless, completely rational life like all of you. Someday, you can make the most physically accurate action movie anyone has ever seen. I’m sure you wont be able to stop admiring that explosion that doesn’t result in a gloriously satisfying fireball, or the dead henchman who doesn’t get thrown into the wall by a single shotgun slug. All six of you who see it will have a great time.

That felt good. Here’s some things I think about this weekend’s football action:

CFB

-Noel Devine (WVU) is currently on pace to rush for over 800 yards this season on less than 80 carries. Sweet Jesus. Let’s see if he can keep that going against yet another grossly overmatched opponent.

-Michigan State scares me as a Badger fan, especially since the Badgers have yet to put on a strong performance this season. The front seven will need to have another strong performance to stop MSU’s rushing attack.

-Holy crap, am I excited for Cal-Oregon. DeSean Jackson makes moves that they took out of videogames for being unrealistic. Oregon has…a tough stadium to play in? I don’t know how much stock to put in beating the tar out of a reeling Michigan squad.

-It’s a shame the SEC is on CBS, whose HD coverage is crap. Seriously, CBS, you’re just embarrassing yourselves by not putting all your games in HD. Also, you, as a national network, are no longer allowed to advertise the fact that a game is in HD. This should be standard practice by now.

NFL

-Enough about how bad the NFC North is. Take a look at the NFC South. One of the ‘contenders’ in that division is so bad Jake Plummer chose to flee the NFL over playing for them.

-I’m intrigued to explore the depths of awfulness that is Norv Turner’s coaching when the Chargers play KC this week. Can he keep it close? Can he limit LT to under 100 yards once again?

-Tom Brady should have to play in a 3 piece suit on Monday night, just to make it interesting. But seriously, this game is going to be an ass kicking that probably isn’t even worth watching.

-I have a friend who claims Joey Harrington is a good quarterback. Does everyone know someone like this? Maybe he’s been paying people around the country to defend him because he’s a closet egomaniac. I see crazy in his eyes.








1 comment:

HappyCatheter said...

realism in an action movie...how about the best action movie ever...DISTRICT B FUCKING 13!!!!!